Update#6- Quake In Indonesia / First OCHA Field Situatonal Report
The following is an excerpt from the OCHA Field Sitrep developed by the Humanitarian/Resident Coordinator Office in Indonesia earlier this evening:
1. An inter-agency team of UN staff will arrive in the area on first available flight to assess the situation. The team includes UNICEF, WHO, OCHA, IOM, and WFP.
2. The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator, Mr. Bo Asplund, announced that the UN stands ready to support the Government of Indonesia in response to this earthquake.
3. An UNDAC Team was placed on stand by a few hours after the earthquake and it is ready to be deployed if required.
4. A number of donor representatives in Jakarta have informed OCHA Indonesia that they remain ready to assist if needed.
5. The UN HC/RC Office in Jakarta will continue to monitor the situation through direct contact with pertinent government and non-government institutions, as well as with the Indonesian Red Cross.
6. President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has instructed armed forces and police to mobilize personnel and heavy equipment, as well as The Department of Social Affairs and the Coordinating Ministry of People’s welfare to provide food and medicine. A ministerial BAKORNAS (governmental aid agency) coordination meeting will be held tomorrow, 7 March.
8. Armed forces have set up field kitchens, health services and field tents, as well as a field hospital in Solok District to assist the affected persons. It has also deployed two teams of troops to provide emergency response assistance.
Tags: [Asia/Indonesia] [Earthquake] [Breaking News/Disaster/Emergency/Humanitarian/Relief/Rescue]